Sunday, January 22, 2023

Tasting - Donna Laura Ali Toscana

Name: Donna Laura Ali Toscana Rosso
Variety: 90% Sangiovese, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: Tuscany
Country: Italy
Year: 2020
Price: $14.95

Winery Review: "This wine has aromas of juicy red berry fruit. Medium-bodied and soft on the palate, with balanced acidity and ripe tannins. Delicious with pastas and grilled meats, yet also very drinkable without food." - Donna Laura

Wine Folly: pg 208 "Super Tuscans" - I really got the stonefruits of cherry and plum, and a lot of the "oak" notes. Not so much spice or soil. 
pg 371 Sangiovese, mentions again the cherry, which was very prevalent, as well as the acidity which I got. Both this and pg 208 mentioned herbs, of which there is a little at the end. 

Personal Review:  I liked this one. Quite dry, with cherry being the main note I noticed along with a lot of wood flavor. Like what a wooden board smells like. That puckering in your mouth from the tannins combined with the somewhat herbal flavor on the exit reminded me of eating a leaf as a child. There is some sweetness in the middle. The smell matched the taste. 

I did not have any food with this wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Winery Visit - Villa Appalachia

It had just finished raining as we headed along the windy sunlit summits of the Blueridge Parkway. Rebecca and I were en route to Villa Appa...